This task allows for the partners to find out about a place to go for leisure by first recording and then describing a soundscape. This task is part of the ” audio postcard” scenario.
Institution reporting the task:
Language of task instructions:
References and acknowledgements:
Language(s) that the task can be used in:
Dominant language production:
|Online communication skills|
Specific pedagogical objectives:
Creation of a friendly, non-threatening atmosphere in the groups
Suggested Communication Tools:
|Voice recording tools|
|Real time conferencing|
A list of tutorials for Audacity about exporting audio files in an MP3 format:
Tutorial for the use of Glogster in French and English:
Phase 1 (Preparation):
– Creating a closed forum (on Moodle, for example)
– Creating teams of 4 telecollaborators each one pair per country
Reuse groups from task 1 of the scenario < < Creation of audio postcards> > if this one has been done before. This task is entitled ” Places to go out” .
Phase 2 (Production):
– Each pair chooses a place to go out.
They can base their choice on the establishments that have been presented to them in task 1.
– With the help of the software ” Audacity” (of which a list of tutorials has been proposed under ” suggested resources” ) and/or an audio-recording program of the telecollaborators’ choice, each pair records the background noise of the chosen establishment. The audio file should last between 1 minute and 1 min 30.
Each pair can focus on different kinds of sound sources.
– The pairs post their mp3-formatted productions in the forum
Phase 3 (exchanges):
The groups synchronously discuss (via Skype) the recorded places
– they describe the different sounds they can hear in the recording
– they try to find out the establishment the recording has been made in
After the conversation the pairs can consult with each other in a short research phase, by, for example, pointing out a site on which information about their hometown’ s leisure facilities/ places for going-out can be found.
Phase 4 (wrap-up in class):
Discussion of task instructions for the production, about the quality of the exchange and the recordings.
Document related to the task:
Criteria for Completion:
The telecollaborators were able to describe the recordings that I have carried out in an establishment in my town and have tried to find out what kind of place it is during a real-time conversation.
Comments and suggestions:
FORTTice : scénario « Grenoble by night ça vous tente ? », Étape 2