This task allows the telecollaborative partners to draw their attention to a social group, young people, by making it a subject of intercultural comparisons. The product is a text which seeks to offer solutions to the problems encountered by young people in the partners’ country.
Institution reporting the task:
Language of task instructions:
References and acknowledgements:
Language(s) that the task can be used in:
Dominant language production:
Specific pedagogical objectives:
Development of students interest in cultural similarities and differences
Suggested Communication Tools:
Stage 1(preparation through the teachers):
– Create a closed forum (like Moodle)
– Form pairs of telecollaborative partners of the same country
– It would be interesting to find a document as a starting point which illustrates the life of young people in each country. In the beginning this document would be presented in the forum by the teacher of each country.
A document in French can be found under « Suggested Resources»
Stage 2 (research):
Ask the teams to create a portrait of the type of youth of their region, describing:
– Their way of life in general
– The problems they can encounter: education, family, drugs, violence
Alternative Stage 2 (research):
This phase can also be done in the form of a direct questionnaire
– Every teacher suggests to the teams to create a questionnaire (one per group) on the different aspects mentioned in stage 2.
For example: Do adolescents have problems with drugs?
– The telecollaborative partners post their questionnaire in the forum
Ask the partners to choose 3 problems which young people in the partners' country encounter and suggest solutions
The text should have at least 80 words
Stage 4 (exchange):
– The teams react to the responses of their team partners to the different questions (they comment, complement or express their disagreement) in the forum
Stage 5 (wrap-up in class):
Come back to the aspect of the production task on the differences which exist between the youth of both countries
Document related to the task:
Criteria for Completion:
The participants could present a social category of their country and understand the differences which might exist within the very same category in another country. They produced a text presenting problems which young people in the country of the partners face trying to find solutions to these problems.
Comments and suggestions:
Le français en Première Ligne (2011-2012) Grenoble-Chypre. Groupe B : Astrid Barbarin, Arisete Vera-Cruz, Caroline Blois (Tâche 3 « Les jeunes sont-ils les mêmes partout? »)